Saturday, April 9, 2011

craft goup

This time we decided to learn how to make and decorate sugar cookies.  My friend Vicki made all the cookies and she has the recipe listed on her blog.  They were delicious.  She also researched how to do the piping to make beautifully decorated cookies.  It was very fun, yummy and informative.  I love having a craft group for this very reason.  Cookie decorating has always intimidated me.  I learn by doing, so when vicki picked this months topic I was very excited.  Here are some pictures from the group.


This is just a small sampling of the cookies she had ready.


Here we are in the process


The beautiful results.  It is amazingly easy to do.  Vicki has all the instructions, so you can just pop over to her blog here and find out the details.  None of these are my cookies.  There the other ladies in the group, mine turned out pretty but these were definately the knockouts.  I will definately start making these for holidays now.  
Another thing  I love about having a craft group is that we are all good in very different areas.
Vicki is the baker/cook
Chantal is the seamstress, quilter, handicraft woman.  She has a beautiful blog with her quilts and tutorials here.
Pilar is more like me, a jill of all trades, but expert at none.  Although I have to say she is quite good at jewelry making.  That will be next month.  She does not have a blog but we are working on her.
Debi is adopting internationally and has a blog concerning that rollercoaster and she also makes and sells adoption jewelry in her etsy shop.
Jane is an awesome, incredible muralist and faux painter, but she is also one of those gals that can do ANYTHING!  She really impresses me with ther "I can do it attitude".  

Craft group usually lasts around 2 to 2 1/2 hrs.  But this week we all got to know each other a bit better and felt more comfortable and we were there for 4 hrs, most of it chatting.  I soooooo love all my crafty girls.  Thanks for coming and sharing your skills and lives with me each month.

One more point I would like to make.  This is something that I have wanted to do for quite awhile, but was hesitant to ask anyone, you know what every single lady was thrilled that I thought of her.  I think lots of people would love to do this, but don't feel comfortable starting it.  We also have someone starting in the summer without craft skills, but she just wants to hang out.  Not everyone comes every month, I purposely asked more people then I thought would be the perfect amount so that people could come and go as they needed to .  I love it, I hope this encourages you to start one if you have been thinking about it.


2 comments:

  1. Lovely post Lisa, and thanks for all the flattering comments. Yes, I loooove our craft group. It is so awesome learning new things. Vicki went to so much trouble and I am so thrilled to know how to ice cookies now. Roll on Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you started the group, too, because who doesn't love making new friends?! The crafts are just secondary for me! I especially enjoyed the banter yesterday re: Real Housewives and cosmetic surgery! ha ha

    ReplyDelete