Thursday, September 8, 2011

new sewing table

Hi everyone, happy fall ya'll!


Just wanted to show a pretty fall picture.  I'm just starting to change my seasonal displays and in Texas fall means pheasants feathers and lots of them. Despite the need for touch up paint from getting the new countertops installed, I think it looks nice.
So on to the craftroom redo.  Here is where the sewing table began.


Not very pretty but the setup has worked for me in the past.  The tables have a foam top so I just pinned a canvas from a bleached drop cloth on top.


If your table doesn't have a foam padded top then I would just duct tape the material in place, we like duct tape in the south! :)



Here it is in process from the front.  I first pinned the ends, then went to the center and pinned that and gathered it inbetween for the rest.  After that was done I went to lowes and bought a piece of 3/4 mdf.  I had that measurements that I needed to make the top and had them cut it for me.  I bought 2 inch L brackets and my husband used the L brackets to put the 2 inch x 96 inch section I had them cut.


This is what I ended up with.  I will show it all prettied up in a future post.  But it hides a ton of storage space underneath and it's a nice clean surface to work on.  I painted the mdf with white oil paint with a roller brush.  The whole thing was two coats.  It really was a very easy project.


Here it is from the top.  I didn't even fill the seam in, but it wouldn't be hard if that is something that would bother you.  Just smear some woodfiller in the seam and when it dries, sand it and then paint it.  I'm very pleased.  Next I am shabby chicing up the side cabinets.  See you in a day or two with that project.

linking to
scrappy,happy, crafty
katies nesting spot 
suzy's sitcom 
shabbycreekcottage

2 comments:

  1. I love your "new" table and I love how you have all of the storage under it while it still looks nice! I did the same thing and I think it makes all of the difference! I have to say my favorite thing is what you did with the top! You rock! :o)
    Thank you so much for linking up!!!
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I’d love for you to link your adorable project to Things I’ve Made Thursdays going n now until noon tomorrow. I’m trying something new this week- We have two sections to the party- one for kids’ things and one for “Anything”!! I think this post would be an awesome addition to the “Anything Goes” party!

    Hope you’ll stop by and link up!
    Melanie
    http://bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com/2011/09/things-ive-done-thursday-new.html

    ReplyDelete